National Headquarters and Museum
503 South Walnut Street
Museum and Headquarters
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Tuesday - Saturday
Our Mailing Address:
National Headquarters – DUVCW
PO Box 211
Springfield, IL 62705-0211
Our organization was organized on May 30, 1885 by Olive Howard, Harriet Knapp, Eva Merwin, Frank Merwin, and Bertha Martin. They held the first meeting on June 3, 1885 at the home of Eva Merwin, 419 First Street, SE Massillon, Ohio.
We were incorporated December 12, 1885 in Masssillon, Ohio and the signers of the Original Articles of Incorporation were Minnie F. King, Bertha M. Martin, Olive F. Howard, Eva Merwin, and Any Merrill.
Our original name was National Alliance Daughters of Veterans and we were endorsed by the Grand Army of the Republic at the 34th Annual Encampment held in Chicago, Illinois in 1900.
During our 35th National Encampment, held in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1925, our name was changed to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War. Our name was later changed during our 54th National Encampment, held in Des Moines, Iowa in 1944 to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861 – 1865.
Our Federal Charter was granted by Public Law 99-172 on December 9, 1985.
Our Museum preserves countless artifacts of Civil War history, including rifles, medals, photographs, currency, drums, uniforms, and letters from soldiers at the front. A gift shop offers a variety of books about the Civil War and other memorabilia.
Located next to the Museum is a 2,800 square foot “American foursquare” house built in 1898, which has been converted into a Library and Research Center. The library houses a complete set of “War of the Rebellion: Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies.” Numerous other volumes relating to the War are also available for on-site research.
A memorial brick garden was dedicated in 2010 at the Museum, with memorial bricks honoring our Founders, Members, Civil War Veterans, and Veterans of all wars.